Diligent and Seasoned Attorneys in Los Angeles Help Employees Combat Racial Discrimination
Racism and racial discrimination in the workplace
Racial discrimination occurs when an employment action is based on race or color — even if the racism stems from an unconscious action or stereotype — and results in unfavorable or disparate treatment to employees or applicants. The discrimination may involve a single incident or may arise as a pattern or practice of the employer.
Proving racial discrimination can be a complex task, requiring a practical knowledge of the applicable laws as well as the avenues of recovery. We pursue civil litigation or file with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) on your behalf. At The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC in Los Angeles, we have deep roots in the local legal community and are well-respected among local judges and other legal professionals. Using knowledge, resources and experience, we assist clients who are victims of the following types of workplace discrimination:
- Racial discrimination
- Color discrimination — skin complexion
- Discrimination based on personal characteristics associated with race, such as hair texture, skin color or facial features
- Discrimination stemming from the race or skin color of an employee’s or co-worker’s spouse
- Discrimination based on membership in a race-based organization
- Discrimination based on related aspects of race, such as national origin, religion, race, plus another factor
Factors considered in a racial discrimination case
Under the law, racial discrimination – as well as harassment based on race – is forbidden through all aspects of employment, including hiring, firing, laying off, remunerating, promoting, assigning tasks, training, offering benefits and fulfilling all other terms and conditions of employment. However, since racism in the workplace is often difficult to prove, it is essential to compile all relevant documentation that demonstrates applicable employment decisions were racially motivated. These records include emails, performance reviews, and interoffice memos.
If you are the victim of racial discrimination, our Los Angeles attorneys at The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC understand your rights and build a strong case for you. We take into consideration all relevant factors and evidence including:
- Racially-motivated statements made by employers or supervisors, whether vocal or written, that contain slurs or other race-based comments
- Evidence of treatment of employees and applicants of all races, which can demonstrate disparate treatment
- Patterns of treatment and policies in the workplace
- Statistical evidence of policies or patterns
- Employee’s work history and qualifications
- Documentation of an employer’s or supervisor’s failure to prevent racial discrimination or harassment on the job
Providing workers with the knowledge and guidance they need to obtain just results
At The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC in Los Angeles, we are dedicated to helping all applicable employees overcome racism in the workplace and recover damages. To learn more about our services, including our contingency fees, contact us online or call (310) 979-7080 today for a free initial consultation. We are conveniently located near UCLA and have convenient evening and weekend hours.