Los Angeles Attorneys Assist Victims of a Hostile Work Environment
Protecting employees from ongoing harassment or abuse
If you’re subjected to repeated or severe harassment at work, because of age, gender, disability or another protected status, we can take action to end it. At The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC in Los Angeles, we aggressively protect the rights of employees throughout California. With nearly 20 years of experience each, our hardworking lawyers have the skills, reputation and creativity to help clients stop workplace harassment and obtain just results.
Factors that may lead to a hostile work environment in California
When a supervisor or fellow employee constantly makes suggestive sexual remarks or unwanted advances, persistently demands a quid pro quo arrangement of employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors, or otherwise harasses you, that person has created a hostile work environment. There are many factors that make a work environment hostile:
- Severe and persistent harassment
- Office breakups between employees and especially with superiors
- Rejected or unwelcome advances
- Unsafe working conditions caused by an ex-partner
- Sexual harassment based on homosexuality
Evidence necessary to prove a prima facie case for a hostile work environment
To provide prima facie evidence, or evidence that is sufficient to raise a presumption in court, of a hostile work environment, an employee must demonstrate that:
- The employee was subjected to a work environment he or she found intimidating, hostile or offensive
- The harassment was based on a protected status, such as gender, sex or condition of pregnancy
- The harassing conduct was unwelcome and so severe, widespread or persistent that it altered the condition of the work environment and created an intimidating hostile, abusive or offensive work environment
- A reasonable person in similar circumstances would also consider the work environment to be hostile or abusive
- A supervisor engaged in the conduct or knew or should have known about the conduct and failed to take immediate and appropriate corrective action
- The employee was harmed by the conduct
Claiming harassment because of a hostile work environment is a complex legal determination. Our Los Angeles attorneys at The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC provide the guidance and support you need by fully evaluating your case, helping you understand your rights and options, and aggressively protecting your interests.
Protecting you when a work environment becomes hostile or abusive
Our attorneys at The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC put their substantial experience and passion for justice to use in helping clients resolve complex claims. Because we are dedicated to helping victims of harassment obtain justice, we offer contingency fees, so we do not charge until we successfully resolve your claim. For the help you need after suffering harassment, contact our Los Angeles firm online or call (310) 979-7080 today for a free initial consultation.