Knowledgeable Los Angeles Attorneys Assist with Class Action Lawsuits
Class actions stop unlawful acts by employers in Los Angeles and throughout the state
There may be many victims when an employer violates a law or discriminates. Through class action lawsuits, victims can form a united front to fight unlawful actions and seek reparation. As Los Angeles attorneys who are active with the local bar associations, we at The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC in Los Angeles have an outstanding reputation with the local judges. Bringing our highly respected skills and litigation experience to the table, we help employees obtain relief through class action lawsuits.
What is a class action lawsuit?
A class action lawsuit allows employees to aggregate individual claims against their employer into one lawsuit. For employees to be certified as a class, they must meet certain requirements. These include:
- Numerosity: The class is so numerous it would be unrealistic for each individual to file a lawsuit
- Commonality: There are questions of law or fact that are common to the class, although each petitioner is not necessarily affected by the exact same unlawful conduct
- Typicality: The claims of the plaintiffs who represent the class are typical of the claims of each other member of the class
- Adequacy of representation: The interests of the class are fairly and adequately protected through the class action lawsuit
What are the benefits of class actions in employment disputes?
There are many benefits to pursuing a claim through a class action lawsuit instead of an individual claim. These include:
- Less chance of retaliation. Because the lawsuit comprises a group of people, there is less likelihood of retaliation from an employer
- More cost-effective method. By representing a group as opposed to an individual, attorneys can charge each plaintiff a lower fee and apply a more efficient process in effecting the suit. This makes it viable for attorneys to use their own resources and offer contingency fees
- More efficient manner. Class actions are more efficient than individual suits because witnesses need to testify only once, evidence need to be produced only once, and your attorneys need to prove the relevant questions of law and fact only one time.
- Opportunity to recover small awards. For certain wage and hour violations, it is not economical to pursue individual litigation
- Opportunity for a greater number to recover damages. Class actions often allow all employees who file claims for employment discrimination, failure to accommodate a disability — or other unlawful action — to receive compensation instead of just the first few individuals who file.
- Chance to stop illegal conduct: As a unified group, employees can ask the court to enjoin their employer to stop illegal action.
Contact Los Angeles attorneys with the knowledge and passion to resolve your employment disputes
At The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC, our Los Angeles employment lawyers help you obtain justice through skilled and experienced representation provided on a contingency fee basis. To learn more, contact us online or call (310) 979-7080 today for a free initial consultation.