Seasoned Los Angeles Employment Law Attorneys Help Clients Understand and Protect Their Rights
Employment law in California
The employment lawyers at The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC in Los Angeles are passionate about overcoming injustice in the workplace. With each attorney bringing nearly 20 years of experience to the table, we are committed to using our resources and skills to help clients assert their employment rights — obtaining their full pay and benefits and combating unlawful dismissals. We aggressively and strategically develop strong defenses for our clients by preparing each claim as if it was going to trial — helping to maximize your results.
Employment lawyers representing your best interest in litigation and disputes
With deep roots in the local legal community and an understanding of employer conduct, our lawyers provide high-quality representation for all types of employment disputes. Since our firm also represents employers, we have a clear understanding of relevant issues from both sides of the table. We handle the following disputes:
- Wage and hour claims: Our skilled and efficient attorneys assist employees with all types of wage and hour claims, including minimum wage violations, failure to receive overtime pay, pay deduction violations, sick leave and vacation rights and other employment law violations.
- Employee misclassification: An employee may be denied important benefits — such as family and medical leave, overtime compensation, payment of minimum wages and unemployment insurance — because of employee misclassification. Our attorneys help correct misclassification through negotiation, mediation and civil litigation, so you receive the benefits you deserve.
- Failure to accommodate: If you were denied employment, discharged from your job or faced another negative employment action because of your employer’s failure to accommodate your disability, our lawyers understand your rights and obtain the relief you need.
- Whistleblower cases: When employees report employers for violations of or noncompliance with state or federal laws, they are protected from retaliatory employment actions. They are also safeguarded if they refuse to participate in unlawful or unsafe activities. In whistleblower cases, our firm seeks compensation that includes continuation or reinstatement of employment and benefits, recovery of lost wages, and other applicable remedies for employer retaliation.
- Denial of meal and rest breaks: In general, employees are entitled to ten-minute paid rest periods for every four hours worked, and a half-hour meal period for every five hours worked, with exceptions. To learn more about correcting violations in this area, please see our page on the denial of meal and rest breaks.
- Class actions: Unlawful employment actions and violations of employment law may affect not just one victim but an entire class of employees. If that is the case, our seasoned litigators provide high-quality assistance to you through class action lawsuits.
How different statutes of limitations may affect your case
Not all employment law claims have equal statutes of limitations. The type of clime you file determines how long you have to file it. A discrimination claim against the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing must be filed within one year, but the same type of claim against the California Equal Opportunity Commission must be filed within 300 days. Overtime and wage claims have three years, but breach of contract claims have four — unless your wage claim is based in a breach of contract, in which case you have either two or four years to file. It’s a complicated process. Because the statutes themselves are specific, you need the help of an experienced employment lawyer to determine whether or not your claim is still valid.
Contact attorneys with a long history of successful results in California
At The Ruttenberg Law Firm, PC, we are dedicated to providing highly skilled and decisive legal representation on a contingency fee basis. To learn more about how our lawyers protect your rights, contact us online or call (310) 979-7080 today for a free initial consultation.